Tuesday, March 12, 2013

Part Time

I have to admit, I am so blessed that I am able to work part time. My husband works his butt off to be the main provider for our family. Calling him a "hard-working man" is an understatement but that's another post for another day. Before I became pregnant, before Mason was born, and even after Mason was born I thought, for sure, I wanted to be a stay-at-home Mom. I mean, who WOULDN'T want to stay at home and admire their baby all day?!

I've had 1 job my entire life (unless we consider the years I spent filling barns growing up!). I work at my Grandparent's frame shop. I've worked there since I was 15. My grandfather passed away in '05 right after I went off to college. Now it's me and my Grandma (Betty). Lucky doesn't describe my "work" life. I've always made my own schedule which consisted of 4-5 days a week. Now I'm down to 3 days a week. Mostly, I work Wednesday, Thursday, and Friday. My Mom keeps Mason on Wednesday and my Grandma keeps Mason on Thursday and Friday. How lucky am I that I know my child is safe and in good hands when I leave to go to work??

I enjoyed 2 1/2 wonderful months at home with Mason after he was born. I had some major heartburn and anxiety about going back to work. The plan was to keep him at the shop while Betty and I worked. After a month, I was so stressed that I realized that schedule was NOT good for me. I was nursing him, trying to occupy him, trying to work, change his diapers, and do everything to keep him satisfied and get my work done all at the same time. It wasn't fair to him and it wasn't fair to Betty (although as long as Mason was around she didn't care :). We finally came up with my current schedule.

As I said earlier, I always thought I'd want to be a full time stay-at-home Mom. But I love my schedule now. I get to be around the public, get dressed like a real person, and have grown-up interaction. But I also get Saturday-Tuesday to snuggle, play, wear pajamas, and soak in this time with my boy who's growing by the second. Don't get me wrong, I love Mason and love the time we spend together but being away from him those 20-24 hours a week makes me savor the time we are together. I never want to take him for granted.

 
 
 
 
I cherish my time with Mason. He is the light of my life. The love of my life. The reason I believe I was put on this Earth other than to serve the Lord. He has given me my most important job and I am so blessed to watch him grow.

1 comment:

  1. okay you just made me cry. everything worked out just like it was supposed to he is so lucky to have you for a mama. Love you both!

    ReplyDelete